[AMPS] Another arc question

Jon Ogden jono@webspun.com
Thu, 7 May 98 10:20:46 -0500

>Your amp was not in cutoff. Unless you call 50 mA plate current
>'cutoff'. When this event happened your amp was biased in the 'active
>region'. What are you trying to proof?

What do you call cutoff?  Zero mA plate current?  It certainly wasn't
keyed and was just idling.  Even in class AB operation some current is
likely going to be drawn as just quiescent current.  Idle current on the
4-1000A is specified to be 80 mA.  Maybe I am just missing something
about cutoff.

>I thought the whole idea of using Rich's suppressor is to stop
>parasitics from happening in the first place. Now you are telling us
>that what happened in your amp has to be caused by parasitics. While
>using Rich's suppressors? Apparently they are not as good as some people
>think. Or your amplifier is so badly constructed that even Rich's
>suppressors won't help anymore.

Well, you raise a good point.  These are the EXACT same thoughts that ran
through my head.  Mind you, I didn't construct my amp from the gound up.
It was purchased from an estate sale and I am doing my best to make it
work.  So unless I completley rebuild it (which may have been easier in
the long run), I am stuck with some limitations.

Perhaps Rich's suppressors aren't as good as some think.  Perhaps it's my
amp.  This is why I am calling everything I am doing experimenting.  I
think that even Rich will admit that his supressors don't necessarily
cure all ills.  They just make them less likely to happen.

I am going to continue to try working with both his supressors and
designs of my own.  If his don't work, they don't work and Rich will be
proven wrong.  However, I have heard of no one who has said that his
supressors made their amp unstable.  So,I am assuming that there is
something else wrong with my amp.  What, I don't know.....Stay tuned.

73,

Jon
KE9NA

Jon Ogden