[AMPS] INFO wtd: QRO DUMMY LOAD

John Lyles jtml@lanl.gov
Wed, 13 May 1998 21:58:03 -0600

Sir:

I hope you get this before leaving, if you need to know. The Electro
Impulse load is probably similar to what they now call a CLW-253. I say
this only because the numbering is similar and the picture shows something
that is a 3.125 inch EIA dummy load. However, my catalog is dated about 10
years old.

According to the ordering info, the CLW means coaxial water load,
253 means 25 KW average power. Since yours says 53S it might be a 5000 Watt
load.

Anyhow, the description of a square flange is strange, unless it is either
an LC, or what they call (at Bird) a QC for quick connector. This was a
sort of universal connector that you could plug a standard RF connector
into, and convert it in the field. The Bird version of QC has a Teflon
barrier and 4 holes like you mention, and a hole in the center. The mating
piece has a center pin with spreading fingers that force into the hole.

Good luck, sounds like a choice piece if it still passes water.  Is it 50
Ohms (use Ohmeter)?
John
K5PRO