[AMPS] Technical Question #1

Rich Measures measures@vc.net
Fri, 22 May 98 05:01:56 -0800

>> Date:          Thu, 21 May 1998 11:43:40 -0500
>> From:          Jon Ogden <jono@webspun.com>
>
>Hi Jon,
>
>> I believe there is some neutralization that can be done in GG amps.  The
>> most important aspect I recall has to do with making sure that there is a
>> balance between the two tubes.  A single tube amp need not worry about
>> it, but in 2 tube amps there can be a problem.  Someone please correct me
>> if I am incorrect.  I don't have Mr. Orr's book handy at the moment.
>
>Don't rely entirely on Mr. Orr's book. That is a collection of data
>from many sources, and it was never really peer reviewed.

Orr was basically a merchandizer, not an originator.

>Many other books do describe neutralization of GG amps, it is no
>major feat. Electronic Designers Handbook contains such circuitry,

Page numbers?

>as well as many other engineering textbooks.

How about some titles and page numbers?

>The Heathkit Warrior and Gonset (4) 811A amps were both neutralized,
>and are much more stable at HF than amps that are not neutralized.

The Heathkit Warrior was apparently so unstable that Heath dropped the
so-called "neutralization" circuit.  This is why the SB-200, SB-220,
HL-2200, and SB-230 had no neutralization circuit.
.  .  It is my opinion that G-G amplifiers do not need neutralization at
the fundamental operating frequency.  A feedback circuit which may
achieve negative feedback at HF could well provide positive feedback at
VHF.  .

>In most parallel tube applications it is not necessary to neutralize
>the tubes separately.  You simpler invert the phase 180 degrees in a
>broadband transformer, and couple the filament to the anode.

Does one invert phase at the fundamental frequency, or does one invert
phase at the anode's VHF resonance?

>The AL-811H and AL-1200 both use this technique. Both are
>completely stable with any terminations on input and output and at
>any control setting, unlike amps using the same tubes without
>neutralization.

Seems like a "friendly" test to me.  .  In the real world, tubes are
driven, which produces rapid variations in anode-current, which produces
damped wave ringing at the anode's VHF resonance.

Rich...