[AMPS] Tuned input

Bill Turner, W7TI wrt@eskimo.com
Wed, 11 Nov 1998 13:50:31 GMT

On Tue, 10 Nov 1998 00:51:52 -0500, km1h@juno.com wrote:
<snip>
>>  My SB200 needs to have input retuned also.  Anyone out there have
>>experience on re-tuning the frozen slugs ?
>>    Pat W0OPW
>

>I still tune by the manual...works fine if you pay attention.
>
>You can free slugs with a bit of lacquer thinner or heat. The heat can be
>applied via a home made soldering gun tip bent to fit....just a tiny bit
>will ususally do the job.
>
>73  Carl  KM1H
If these are the kind of slugs with a hex hole, freezing is often
caused by a hairline crack radiating out from the center.  If that's
the problem, nothing on earth will free them (this from 18 years in
the TV repair business).  With care, you can drill them out but it's a
difficult job and easy to damage the coil form.  Good luck.

73, Bill W7TI