[AMPS] tuner trouble

henry gillow-wiles henry@pacinfo.com
Wed, 25 Nov 1998 16:35:34 -0800

I realize this isn't an amp question, but you guys are smarter than me at
this stuff.

I have a Nye MB-V tuner. The thing is great with the exception of a bypass
switch. I want to get away from the double coax switches and put one inside
the box.

After looking at the scematics (sp?), I found the place to put a on-on spst
switch that would take the rf from the input, re-route it past the tuner
section and feed it to the output. Sounds like a good idea, right? After
completeing the work, I hooked my cantenna dummy load to the output side
and my mfj analyser to the input. In the tune position, the thing acts like
I think it should. In the bypass position, I expected an 1-1 match, just
like hooking the mfj to the dummy load directly.

Now the problem.
The tuner isn't all the way out of the path. I get a match at some
frequencies and not at others. Some frequencies give me greater than 5-1.

The question.
Why dosen't the by-pass work. I tried it with the same guage wire used in
the tuner. I tried it using coax. No change.

What I did was to break the circuit at the input side, route it through a
switch and add it on to the output coax connection. One switch position
sends the rf on its way through the tuner, the other position sends it
directly to the output.

Could the switch be the problem? It's a quality switch, but designed for
eletricity, not rf.

end

Henry

KB7RTA