[AMPS] Connectors

Steve Thompson amps@txrx.demon.co.uk
Tue, 20 Oct 1998 21:48:13 +0100

In message <19981020.095452.3790.0.w6frmarv@juno.com>, marv gonsior
<w6frmarv@juno.com> writes

>Hello All,
>
>It was interesting to read the comments about connectors for RF and I was
>surprised that no one mentioned the "C" type that I have used for years.
>They have a much more rugged center pin and I have never had a failure
>with them.  Are others using this type?
>
>For those not familiar with the "C" type.......they are the same overall
>size as the "N" type but bayonet into place like the "BNCs."
>
>Any comments?
>
>Marv, W6FR

As other have already commented, C types are very good (much more
contact area on the centre pin) but not widespread. At V/UHF N types
seem more reliable in low noise systems - it's normally ascribed to the
screw rather than bayonet outer. For the best of both worlds go really
rare with SC - N type outer and C type inner. It's probably easier to
switch to 7/16.

Steve