[AMPS] filament pins

km1h@juno.com km1h@juno.com
Wed, 23 Sep 1998 10:51:22 -0400

On Wed, 23 Sep 1998 12:18:36 +0100 Peter Chadwick
<Peter_Chadwick@mitel.com> writes:

>Some versions of the 4-125, 250, 400 etc have silver plated pins -
>certainly
>the tubes made by Philips/Mullard and possibly Amperex. Using
>Goddard's
>'Silver Dip' (I believe it's available in the US)

I looked high and wide about a year ago for a dip. Finally found Tarn-X
at WalMart and it does work quite well. Years ago it was available almost
everywhere.

 as intended for
>silver
>jewellery/trays etc is a good easy way to clean those pins. The
>Mullard/Philips variants don't have the metal ring base of the Eimac's
>-
>there are/were Eimac variants without the metal ring base listed as
>equivalents, but I don't know about the pin material on those.
>
>Although the silver oxide is supposed to be a conductor, I'm not sure
>about
>the black silver sulphide. The pins appear to run cooler after
>cleaning, as
>far as I can tell with a few minutes testing.

Tnx for that info Peter. I always had a suspicion about that and give old
4CX250 types a bath before using.

73  Carl   KM1H

 Silver Dip works for
>switches,
>too.
>
>73
>
>Peter G3RZP
>
>--

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]