[AMPS] parasitic suppressors

Rich Measures measures@vc.net
Wed, 7 Apr 1999 04:52:58 -0700

>The first point that we need to realsie is that you only get the parasitics
>if the Barkhausen criteria are satisfied at any particular frequency.  This,
>as Ian says, derives from the factors of gain and phase shift.
>
>I still don't see any answer as to why the Q of a resistance wire inductor
>should actually be less as frequency increases than a parallel R-L
>combination

€  It isn't.

>which provides an impedance asymptotic to the resistance value.
>Which is another way of saying that the impedance tends to the value of the
>shunt resistance.

€  The frequency of oscillation is pretty much fixed.
In a typical parasite suppressor, roughly equal vhf currents flow through
R-sup and L-sup.
Parallel R-L circuits are said to have an admittance. Series R-L circuits
are said to have an impedance.  .

>In these measurements of suppressors, what was the value of the shunting
>resistance?

€  100 ohms.

>If there wasn't one, all bets are off, since you are comparing
>apples and bananas.

-  later, Peter

Rich...