[AMPS] Re: Electrical discharge through the heart (was Resoldering 3-500Z pins)

Rich Measures measures@vc.net
Wed, 7 Apr 1999 04:53:00 -0700

>On Mon, 5 Apr 1999, Rich Measures wrote:
>>
>>  With the HV PS switched off?    How is that say 16uF charged to 5kV is
>>ok to discharge through a sick person's chest, and yet if discharged
>>through the abdomen of a healthy person, it can result in death?
>>
>>-  later, Gary
>
>Rich I really think you need to do some research before you say something
>that if taken literally, can kill someone.
>
>I don't think you should be advocating discharging ANY electrical current
>through anyone's chest

€  There was one person present in my scenario.  I essentially said that
if an amateur radio operator realized that his heart has stopped,
switching off the HV supply and Self-discharging the filter capacitor
might restart his heart.  The adding of a second person is a whole nuther
matter.

> ...... Discharging electrical current
>through a beating heart will usually result in death....this is called
>electrocution.

€  I have accidentally done so more than once and somehow avoided the
alleged usual result, although I am not prepared to state unequivocably
that no brain damage occurred.

Rich...