[AMPS] SB-220 input circuit

Tom Rauch W8JI@contesting.com
Mon, 2 Aug 1999 19:33:06 -0400

> €  In the SB-220, the input pi-network has a Q of somewhat less than two.
>  For a solid-state radio, a Q of c. two is needed to obtain a good match.

It doesn't make any difference what the source is, transistor or
tube, in setting SWR.

SWR is set only by the load impedance, and the impedance of the
line to that load.

If I adjust an input network for a SWR of 1:1, I can replace the
driver with any type of driver (as long as it doesn't have strong
spurious emissions) and SWR will remain 1:1.

Minimum Q to match two systems, and still have the network
behave as a pi is one plus the sqrt of Z1/Z2. Where Z1 is the higher
impedance of the two. Less Q than that can be used, if the network
phase shift is allowed to approach 90 degrees.

73, Tom W8JI
w8ji@contesting.com