[AMPS] Survey #1 - The Ultiamate Amplifier

Steve Cook scook@azstarnet.com
Fri, 31 Dec 1999 14:58:42 -0700

------=_NextPart_000_007B_01BF539F.87634A80

Dear AMPS reflector participant,

I am conducting the following survey in conjunction with my final thesis =
project. If you have a few minutes to kill, I would be interested in =
your input to the following questionnaire.

Although many of the questions or open-ended, please be specific to your =
preferences.

At the conclusion of this project, I would be happy to share the results =
with the group, or anyone expressing an interest in the subject matter.

Please e:Mail me direct at scook@azstarnet.com

This will keep from clogging up the reflector with my "homework".

Thanks in advance=85

Steve Cook (WB6IFG)

----------------------------------------------- START SURVEY =

Current Products

    1.. What are your biggest complaints with the linear amplifiers =
currently on the market?
    2.. Which commercially built linear amplifier, do your prefer, and =
why?
Mechanical

    1.. Do you prefer table-top or floor models?
    2.. How much should a "quality" linear amplifier weigh?
    3.. Are esthetics important -- what are your pet peeves?
    4.. Do you prefer analog meters, or some sort of LED or digital =
display?
    5.. What type of cooling do you prefer -- fan, blower, other?
    6.. Is cooling noise an issue?
    7.. What is the right size for a linear amplifier (L-W-H)?
    8.. Which amplifier in history seemed to have it all together=85 =
function, finish, size, control placement, quality, feel, esthetic, =
performance, etc.?
Electrical=20

    1.. What tube(s) would you choose and why?
    2.. What circuit configuration (g-g, grid-driven, etc.) do you =
prefer, and why?
    3.. Do you prefer full manual control, or microprocessor controlled =
amplifiers?
    4.. Is "step-start" an important feature?
    5.. Should provisions for the adjustment of filament voltage be =
included in new designs?
    6.. Should provisions for the adjustment of idling plate current be =
included in new designs?
    7.. What sort of HV power supply do you prefer; e.g., doubler, FWB, =
capacitive or inductive input.
    8.. How much HV plate supply filter capacitance is "about right"?
    9.. Should the plate supply filter cap(s) be oil filled, or computer =
grade type?
    10.. Do you prefer vacuum relays, PIN switch or open frame?
    11.. What degree of voltage regulation do you recommend for the:
        a.. HV --
        b.. Screen --
        c.. Bias --
        d.. Filaments --
Performance

    1.. How much output power should a "legal limit" linear amplifier be =
"capable" of producing?
    2.. Duty cycle?
    3.. Performance margin?
    4.. How much IMD is acceptable?
    5.. How do you define "performance" in terms of a linear amplifier?
Features

    1.. What are some of the features you would like to see on future =
linear amplifiers?
    2.. In a paragraph or so, describe the ultimate legal-limit linear =
amplifier -- one that, if actually produced by a manufacturer, would =
really get your interest.
Cost

    1.. What is a reasonable price range for your "dream amplifier"?
    2.. What is a reasonable warranty term and what should be covered?

------=_NextPart_000_007B_01BF539F.87634A80

<HTML>
<HEAD>

http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial><FONT face=3DArial>
<P>Dear AMPS reflector participant,</P>
<P>I am conducting the following survey in conjunction with my final =
thesis=20
project. If you have a few minutes to kill, I would be interested in =
your input=20
to the following questionnaire.</P>
<P>Although many of the questions or open-ended, please be specific to=20
<I>your</I> preferences.</P>
<P>At the conclusion of this project, I would be happy to share the =
results with=20
the group, or anyone expressing an interest in the subject matter.</P>
<P>Please e:Mail me direct at </FONT><A =
href=3D"mailto:scook@azstarnet.com"><FONT=20
face=3DArial>scook@azstarnet.com</FONT></A></P><FONT face=3DArial>
<P>This will keep from clogging up the reflector with my=20
&quot;homework&quot;.</P>
<P>Thanks in advance&hellip;</P>
<P>Steve Cook (WB6IFG)</P>
<P>----------------------------------------------- START SURVEY=20
---------------------------------------------</P><B>
<P>Current Products</P></B>
<OL>
    <LI>What are your biggest complaints with the linear amplifiers =
currently on=20
    the market?</LI>
    <LI>Which commercially built linear amplifier, do your prefer, and=20
why?</LI></OL><B>
<P>Mechanical</P>
<OL></B>
    <LI>Do you prefer table-top or floor models?</LI>
    <LI>How much should a &quot;quality&quot; linear amplifier =
weigh?</LI>
    <LI>Are esthetics important -- what are your pet peeves?</LI>
    <LI>Do you prefer analog meters, or some sort of LED or digital=20
display?</LI>
    <LI>What type of cooling do you prefer -- fan, blower, other?</LI>
    <LI>Is cooling noise an issue?</LI>
    <LI>What is the right size for a linear amplifier (L-W-H)?</LI>
    <LI>Which amplifier in history seemed to have it all =
together&hellip;=20
    function, finish, size, control placement, quality, feel, esthetic,=20
    performance, etc.?</LI></OL><B>
<P>Electrical </P>
<OL></B>
    <LI>What tube(s) would you choose and why?</LI>
    <LI>What circuit configuration (g-g, grid-driven, etc.) do you =
prefer, and=20
    why?</LI>
    <LI>Do you prefer full manual control, or microprocessor controlled=20
    amplifiers?</LI>
    <LI>Is &quot;step-start&quot; an important feature?</LI>
    <LI>Should provisions for the adjustment of filament voltage be =
included in=20
    new designs?</LI>
    <LI>Should provisions for the adjustment of idling plate current be =
included=20
    in new designs?</LI>
    <LI>What sort of HV power supply do you prefer; e.g., doubler, FWB,=20
    capacitive or inductive input.</LI>
    <LI>How much HV plate supply filter capacitance is &quot;about=20
    right&quot;?</LI>
    <LI>Should the plate supply filter cap(s) be oil filled, or computer =
grade=20
    type?</LI>
    <LI>Do you prefer vacuum relays, PIN switch or open frame?</LI>
    <LI>What degree of voltage regulation do you recommend for =
the:</LI></OL>
<BLOCKQUOTE>
    <UL>
        <LI>HV --</LI>
        <LI>Screen --</LI>
        <LI>Bias --</LI>
        <LI>Filaments --</LI></UL></BLOCKQUOTE><B>
<P>Performance</P></B>
<OL>
    <LI>How much output power should a &quot;legal limit&quot; linear =
amplifier=20
    be &quot;capable&quot; of producing?</LI>
    <LI>Duty cycle?</LI>
    <LI>Performance margin?</LI>
    <LI>How much IMD is acceptable?</LI>
    <LI>How do you define &quot;performance&quot; in terms of a linear=20
    amplifier?</LI></OL><B>
<P>Features</P></B>
<OL>
    <LI>What are some of the features you would like to see on future =
linear=20
    amplifiers?</LI>
    <LI>In a paragraph or so, describe the ultimate legal-limit linear =
amplifier=20
    -- one that, if actually produced by a manufacturer, would really =
get your=20
    interest.</LI></OL><B>
<P>Cost</P>
<OL></B>
    <LI>What is a reasonable price range for your &quot;dream=20
    amplifier&quot;?</LI>
    <LI>What is a reasonable warranty term and what should be=20
covered?</LI></OL></FONT>
<P>&nbsp;</P></FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_007B_01BF539F.87634A80--