[AMPS] HV Switching Supply

Peter Chadwick Peter_Chadwick@mitel.com
Tue, 2 Feb 1999 10:13:44 -0000

KT4FY says:

	>My impression from the original post was that this would be an open
loop
	>switching supply.  A typical low loss forward converter would give
>reasonable (5 to 10 %) performance without the grief of closing the loop.

Maybe I'm wrong, but if it isn't running closed loop, I figure it looks like
a linear PSU from the point of view of output impedance at 'high' (> a few
Hz) frequencies. It will then need lots of  capacitance across the output
(just as a linear supply does) to keep the regulation reasonable under
syllabic conditions. It would be a bit better than a 50 or 60 Hz supply
because of the higher frequency giving charge to the reservoir capacitor
more often, but I figure would still need a fair amount of output capacity.
If it's closed loop with a loop bandwidth of say 5kHz, then you could get
away with minimal capacity on the output - you'd basically just need enough
to give a pole in the response adequate to keep the switching frequency
ripple down. A simulation of output impedance against frequency would be
useful.

What, RZP advocating simulation!!! Whatever next - he'll be using a
calculator!

73

Peter G3RZP