[AMPS] What (modern) tube to use?

Joe Subich, W8IK/4 W8IK@ibm.net
Thu, 18 Feb 1999 18:26:51 -0500

> €  Filament-current is a mere 75A.  Dahl makes a compact transformer.
> Tube handles are mighty nice.  8171s are typically a good buy in the
> surplus market.  They can be had for under 6-cents per watt.

OK ... I looked at my Varian catalog and the 103 Amps was for the "J"
version of the 4CX5000/4CX1000.  Still, the requirements for filament
power, air socket and air flow are a bit stiff for the amateur builder
(and no amateur commercial builder is using the 8171).  What do you
think ... 9 KW with 7 KV on the anode and drive by a FT-1000 <G>?

73,
   ... Joe Subich, W8IK/4  ex-AD8I
       <W8IK@IBM.NET>