[AMPS] SB220 Xformer labodomy

Len Schaier lschaier@avotec.com
Fri, 19 Feb 1999 14:22:06 -0500

Phil,

Thanks so much for the detailed response. I took the xfomer out of the unit
and found the following.

-The transformer was repaired. The duck tape wraps around the coil
-The wedges are present.
-The laminations fall away too easily.
-Some of the windings are tied together with lacing tape and others are not.
-Some coil ends where splices are made to the external wires are laying on
other coil ends.

Here is what I will try if it makes sense and pending any other suggestions
ie potting etc:

1-Use paper masking tape to insulate the wire ends from each other.
2-Put the transformer back together without tightening up on the four bolts.
3-Drown the transformer windings with the oil based polyurethane varnish by
pouring the stuff though the shell opening made during the "labodomy". I'll
wait a few minutes and drain of the extra varnish.
4-Paint the outside of the transformer at the lamination ends using the varnish.
5-Tighten the screws.

What do you think?

Len