[AMPS] resistors

Rich Measures measures@vc.net
Sun, 21 Feb 1999 08:22:49 -0800

Carl said:

>Which is why 100K is the suggested max in any literature I have seen for
bleeders.

€  References, please.  .  In a typical 8171 anode-supply, a 100k-ohm
bleeder would dissipate 810 watts.

>>>Absolute YUK !  800K to 1M bleders..no way Jose.
>>>
>>Ä  What is to be gained by using a 200k-ohm bleeder on a C-filter, Carl?
>
>Quicker HV bleed down time, less chance of a recharge.

€  What mechanism recharges the capacitor?

>  All my concerns are safety related and for others not well versed in PS
issues.

>A string of 3W does not offer much of a voltage breakdown safety margin.
>Matsushita not a common distributor item and similar wattage Panasonic,
>etc are only 350V.

€  The manufacturer's (Panasonic/Matsushita)  rating at 70 deg. C ambient
is 500v or 3w .  For a 100k-ohm unit, the realizable dissipation is 2.5w
at 500v.  .

Rich...