[AMPS] YC156 ratings

Joe Subich, W8IK/4 W8IK@ibm.net
Fri, 26 Feb 1999 08:29:41 -0500

> What is the maximum ratings that you can drive the YC156 too. One
> presumes you have to stay in the 5000 watt plate dissipation rating. If
> so one would be better just to use the ordinary 3cx5000, which is
> cheaper and more available.

The 3CX15000B7 data sheet gives typical operating conditions of 10.2 KW
upsful power with 6 KV at 2.6 Amps, 300 watts drive.  By my calculations
that results in slightly more than 5 KW anode dissipation.  I would not
want to run a YC-156 that way in CW or RTTY service but given the duty
cycle for SSB, I suspect 10 KW peak would be safe there.  If you intend
to drive a YC-156 that hard, be prepared to provide a lot of air (> 250
CFM at > 2.5 inches of back pressure).

73,
   ... Joe Subich, W8IK/4  ex-AD8I
       <W8IK@IBM.NET>