[AMPS] Dollars per dB

Jon Ogden jono@enteract.com
Sat, 2 Jan 1999 14:22:30 -0600

>A KW amp used properly will possibly reduce ur electric bill. There is
>nothing more aggravating in a pileup than to listen to the 100W wet
>noodle stations causing non stop QRM for hours.  I prefer the in and out
>procedure myself.  Did enough of that hours long crap years ago.

Agreed.

Having been a DX station lately, one appreciates the guys who run power.
It is far easier to pick out a stong signal out of a pileup than trying
to pick out everyone at 100 Watts.

In the past I have argued that one is better off dumping money into a
better antenna and have a 1KW amp vs. a 1.5 KW amp.  To an extent that is
true, but it is certainly not a maxim one should always go by.

The article a couple of months ago in QST made it sound like you never
need a PA.

WRONG!  If one doubts the effectiveness of QRO operation, then I'd
suggest they go and compare contest scores for low power stations vs.
high power stations.  Power makes a BIG difference.

73,

Jon
KE9NA

Jon Ogden