[AMPS] Dollars per dB

Jon Ogden jono@enteract.com
Sun, 3 Jan 1999 19:45:50 -0600

>Jon, if you have enough time and patience you can make Honor Roll on 5W.

Carl, I really have NO interest in doing that! :-)

Sure, I've worked DX on QRP, but most is with 100 to 200 Watts.  And I
don't even intend on staying at that power level forever either (amp
being rebuilt).

>But those are usually the hams that live on the radio, ignore families,
>or more likely havent taken a bath in 6 months and cant find a woman that
>would live with them. Just go to Dayton and observe.
>One wag observed that if  Dayton was nuked during Hamvention the gene
>pool in the US would improve considerably!

Oh, I'd agree.  Since I am in the RF component business, my company sends
people to Dayton for booth duty at one of our suppliers.  You should hear
my bosses comment on who they think ham operators are!  It's sad.

Back in 1989, though I did a seminar at Dayton on college radio clubs and
I did meet a real cute YL who was a ham.  So not all Dayton folk are that
way!

>I have an active family, a real job and no interest in living in the
>basement.

Good for you!

>Before you comment, I also have 305 DXCC cfmd on 40M over the years with
>5W but a 4el KLM at 140' thru 180' at various QTH's has helped a wee bit.

That's impressive.

Anyhow, I agree, life is too short for QRP!  One of my biggest peaves is
when I go to practice my CW in the novice bands and some guy who is
operating 1 watt comes back to me - and I can barely hear him!  I want to
reach through the ionosphere and strangle him! :-)

Anyhow, I digress....

73,

Jon
KE9NA