[AMPS] Dollars per dB

Rich Measures measures@vc.net
Mon, 4 Jan 1999 08:21:15 -0800

>>On Sat, 2 Jan 1999 16:48:20 -0500 km1h@juno.com writes:
>>

>>Jon, if you have enough time and patience you can make
>>Honor Roll on 5W.

€  Seems like the Honors should go to the skilled ops who dug the puny
signals out of the noise.

>	Yep.  One W5 has done it.  AA2U may be there.
>	N4KG is close.  (Guess I should have tried for XZ1N )
>
>>But those are usually the hams that live on the radio,   PROBABLY
>> ignore families, 	.. ... ..

€  I saw this tragedy unfold firsthand when I was growing up.  I knew
seven kids who were painfully aware that they were less important than
their fathers working ham radio DX.   It was pukesville to watch it
happening.  .  .  However, the hobby could just as well have been RC
model airplanes or toy trains.
>	You forgot to mention people who spend too much
>	time on the reflectors talking about radio instead of
>	doing radio!    (oops,  guess that hits many of us)

€  Good point.  I can get through something at least 8 times faster
tongue-talking than finger-talking.  However, for a group of more than a
dozen or so, mailing-list/'reflectors' have some advantages over on the
air discussions.
- interesting comments, Tom.   cheers

Rich...