[AMPS] Rapid Warmup Indirectly Heated Cathode Tubes

km1h@juno.com km1h@juno.com
Mon, 11 Jan 1999 12:09:39 -0500

On Mon, 11 Jan 1999 07:40:29 -0800 dan hearn <dhearn@ix.netcom.com>
writes:

>Jon: I didn't make top of the honor roll (365 cfmd ) and 199 zones
>while
>sitting on my thumbs as my amp warmed up. Obviously I call barefoot
>while the
>amp warms up and sometimes make the contact that way.  73, Dan

Great retort Dan!

I believe it was mentioned on the reflector that leaving the filaments on
indirectly heated tubes continuously would have very little effect on
life. Perhaps someone could elaborate....John Brosnahan or Dick Ehrhorn
maybe?

When I still ran the NCL-2000 I would turn it on when I came home from
work and leave it on until I went to bed; actual time at the radio was
minimal. Did the same with a
LK-780 ( two 3CX800's) and never experienced loss of output during the 8
years I owned it.

73  Carl   KM1H

>Jon Ogden wrote:
>
>> >I do
>> >not like to think of how many times I have waited on my 8877 to
>warm up
>> >while a rare DX station was calling CQ or getting ready to QRT.
>73,
>> >Dan  N5AR
>>
>> No one says you have to wait for your amp to warm up in order to
>work the
>> DX station.  Put your amp on standby while it's heating up and call
>the
>> guy barefoot.  You just might be surprised - you might work him.
>Lots of
>> us work DX on 100 or 200 Watts.
>>
>> 73,
>>
>> Jon
>> KE9NA
>>
>> -------------------------------------
>> Jon Ogden
>> KE9NA
>>
>> http://www.qsl.net/ke9na    <--- CHECK IT OUT!  It's been
>updated!!!!!
>>
>> "A life lived in fear is a life half lived."
>>
>> --
>> FAQ on WWW:               http://www.contesting.com/ampfaq.html
>> Submissions:              amps@contesting.com
>> Administrative requests:  amps-REQUEST@contesting.com
>> Problems:                 owner-amps@contesting.com
>> Search:                   http://www.contesting.com/km9p/search.htm
>

>--

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]