[AMPS] Rapid Warmup Indirectly Heated Cathode Tubes

John Fielding johnf@futurenet.co.za
Tue, 12 Jan 1999 18:53:01 +0200

In the broadcasting industry the use of low heater voltage for a
standby transmitter is common practice.  It is known as running the
filament at "black-heat".  Virtually all modern tv transmitters in the
UK use this technique.  Advantages claimed are:

1)	Rapid warm-up of the filament when the transmitter has to take over
duty.
2)	Reduced stress of the filament on warm-up, the most common failure
in large tubes.
3)	No apparent decrease in tube life.

BTW  The cooling is applied to all transmitters in a bay from a central
cooling plant with multiple heat-exchangers.

Typically the air circulates through the tubes and a closed circuit
heat-exchanger.  The first heat-exchanger discharges its load to an
air-water interface.  The heated water is then fed to another
heat-exchanger.  Therefore the primary air (for the tubes) is kept free
of dust particles which can cause arcing in the transmitters.

The second heat-exchanger has a different air cooling system to the
outside world.  Our local tv transmitters have a 3 stage heat-exchanger
with the final water to air exchanger built onto the outside of the
transmitter house.

Hope this is of some interest to the "reflectees".

John	ZS5JF

----------
> From: km1h@juno.com
> To: amps@contesting.com
> Subject: Re: [AMPS] Rapid Warmup Indirectly Heated Cathode Tubes
> Date: 11 January 1999 07:09
>

> On Mon, 11 Jan 1999 07:40:29 -0800 dan hearn <dhearn@ix.netcom.com>
> writes:
> >
> >Jon: I didn't make top of the honor roll (365 cfmd ) and 199 zones
> >while
> >sitting on my thumbs as my amp warmed up. Obviously I call barefoot
> >while the
> >amp warms up and sometimes make the contact that way.  73, Dan
> >

> Great retort Dan!
>
> I believe it was mentioned on the reflector that leaving the
filaments on
> indirectly heated tubes continuously would have very little effect on
> life. Perhaps someone could elaborate....John Brosnahan or Dick
Ehrhorn

http://www.contesting.com/km9p/search.htm

http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html