[AMPS] Re: Alpha 76CA tube swap

KA2YKC@aol.com KA2YKC@aol.com
Wed, 13 Jan 1999 23:36:09 EST

Good evening;

I am in the process of repairing a 76CA for a friend. It appears that the
tubes are weak. Rathert than paying top $$ for 3 - 3cx400's, I remember seeing
someone mention a web site regarding a convversion to 2- 3cx800's. Does anyone
know the URL for the site ?

Also, other than the heater voltage going to 13.5v, should the input and
output circuits  be compatible, or do I need to modify the tank or input ?

I thought I saw someone mention using a voltage doubler rather than adding a
13.5v transformer. Is this possible ?

Lastly, in order to lower the resonant freq of the plate choke, do I need to
add turns or remove turns ? Any rough idea as far as the turns/Mhz ratio ?
(10/12m issue)

Many thanks to all for the ongoing education in amplifiers via the reflector.
I was born 20yrs too late (solid state era) to get a "traditional" education
in tube amplifer design.

73 Eric