[AMPS] HV Connectors

km1h@juno.com km1h@juno.com
Mon, 18 Jan 1999 10:37:45 -0500

On Mon, 18 Jan 1999 08:13:24 +0000 "Ian White, G3SEK"
<G3SEK@ifwtech.demon.co.uk> writes:

>Carl wrote:
>>>The RG58 cable is rated at 15kV (DC, not RF) but not many amps.
>>

>>You are way off Ian. RG-58C/U is rated at 1900V and RG-59B/U is rated
>at
>>2300V per MIL -HDBK-216. Those are the solid dielectric cables, not
>foam.
>>
>Yup, same cable - but are you absolutely certain that 1900/2300V are
>DC
>ratings? I'm looking here at a catalog that says 2.3kV peak RF, but
>also
>15kV DC. Similar ratios apply for other cables.

The MIL ratings are RMS Ian but there is no mention in the document of
the frequency. I and possibly others have always believed it to be 60Hz
AC.
I also can not understand the wide difference in DC vs RMS ratings that
you are claiming.   I'll try and reach someone at Belden and get a
clarification.

>RG58 is routinely used for nucleonics applications carrying 5-10kV
>DC.

Not in my shack!

73  Carl  KM1H

>73 from Ian G3SEK          Editor, 'The VHF/UHF DX Book'
>                          'In Practice' columnist for RadCom (RSGB)
>                           http://www.ifwtech.demon.co.uk/g3sek
>
>--

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]