[AMPS] Adjusting fil voltage

Rich Measures measures@vc.net
Wed, 20 Jan 1999 00:34:09 -0800

>Simple yet so valuable, this information. This is the opposite of the guys
>who want to squeak just 50 watts more by using a variac on both HV and
>filament to RAISE the voltage!
>Controlling filament voltage (via the primary) is a worthwhile endeavor. It
>could make your tubes into "lifetime" tubes.
>
>I can't imagine why anyone would do this in the secondary?

€  When the amplifier has a combination hv / fil. transformer, like the
SB-200 and 2KD-5, such resistors must go in series with the fil. sec.
winding.

>I used this method (primary) with a 25 ohm 50 watt wirewound reostat in the
>primary of my old Henry 4K to lower the filament voltage on an expensive
>5CX1500A tube.

€  The reported filament inrush  current in the Henry 4K was 400 peak
amperes.  Did you add a step-start?

>Actual numerical voltage value is not that important, I just turned it down
>to where power output dropped off and went back up about .1 or .2 volts
>(reading secondard voltage).

€  This is the right way to adj. the fil. potential for a thoriated
tungsten cathode.  One really doesn't need an accurate fil. voltmeter.
Howeven, this method can destroy heater/oxide-cathode type tubes.

>This also acts as an inrush current limiter as a bonus.

€  ... only when the rheostat happened to be set at max. R at startup.  .
 A step-start  always limits fil. inrush current.
-  later

Rich...