[AMPS] 8877 idling current

john john@servoflame.co.uk
Fri, 22 Jan 1999 16:55:26 -0000

Hi All

I asked Eimac for their recommended idling current for a 8877 on 6m with an
EHT of 3500V. They recommended 175mA for Class AB. On GJ4ICD's web page he
runs his at 80mA with 2600V EHT. Various comments on this reflector seem to
agree with GJ4ICD.

With a 12V 50W Zener bias I'm actually getting 125mA idling current at about
3800V off load (3400V on load). My concern is that the EHT transformer is
rated at about 0.5A continuous (my guess) so any reduction in idling current
will be beneficial. I'm not really worried about ultimate power out as we
only have a 400W limit in the UK but I do want to run the amp as clean and
as cool as I can.

So what should it be ? Any advice/comments would be appreciated.

John G0EVT