[AMPS] 7/16 din

Ian White, G3SEK G3SEK@ifwtech.demon.co.uk
Sun, 24 Jan 1999 10:55:27 +0000

igor rosky wrote:

>Yes thanks to all who replied, as mentioned these connectors are the
>coaxial connectors, which are excellent coax connectors, they handle
>huge amounts of rf, 20kw plus at hf.
>
>the ones im after is 7-16 DIN male suitable for Andrews LDF 5-50a, or
>Upin the Heliax equivalent.
>Im changing all antennas and cables to these, they very easy to install.

Modern 7/16 DIN connectors are exactly as easy to install as N or any
other format, because they all use the same back-end assembly to connect
to the hardline. All the competing companies now have "easy-on"
connectors that are self-flaring and require no special tools - but
these are quite recent and you may have to pay full price for them.

Since 7/16 DIN have been around in Europe for rather several years,
connectors of older designs do appear as surplus. These do require
special tools, and the older Suhner connectors also require a metric tap
that is uncommon even in Europe (as I have reason to know...). So watch
out for "bargains" that actually aren't!

Having said all that, 7/16 DIN are excellent connectors for QRO,
especially at VHF/UHF. They're very solid, yet not too big. One of their
best features is that you can push them completely together, and know
that they're properly mated, *before* you screw down the retaining ring.

There's a very nice web page telling all about 7/16 DIN connectors at
the Andrew site. (Sorry, I saved the page but forgot to bookmark it...
a search for the string "cmkr0003.asp" should find it.)

                           http://www.ifwtech.demon.co.uk/g3sek