[AMPS] L4B power supply

km1h@juno.com km1h@juno.com
Tue, 26 Jan 1999 11:37:46 -0500

On Tue, 26 Jan 1999 06:31:38 -0800 "Will K6NDV" <k6ndv@contesting.com>
writes:

>I have a L4B power supply what is basically new and has not been used
>for
>many, many years.
>I have not turned it on yet and I would like to ask the group how to
>tackle
>this one.

Carefully. Preferably with a variac but if one is not availble wire the
primary for 240V and plug into 120V. A step start may help a bit.
The best way is with the variac, bring the voltage up slowly in stages to
about 1/2 voltage over 5-10 minutes. Then measure the drop across each
cap ( yes, a real pain to do on that PS). If drops are within a 5%
tolerance then slowly over the next 1/2 hour bring the AC up to full 120V
while keeping an eye on the drops.
It may also be advantageous to shut down, and feel the caps for excessive
heat at around the 3/4 mark.

GL  Carl  KM1H

>Thanks Will,  K6NDV
>

>--

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]