[AMPS] ARRL and QST

Larry L. Ravlin sheepdip@continet.com
Tue, 26 Jan 1999 17:48:09 -0800

I hardly think that cw is an archaic mode of communication, that is
tatamount to saying that am is useless because it has been around for a
long time and everyone is now using fm and now we come to ssb, hasen't it
been here a while also?  Just because the technology of the equiptment has
been upgraded does not mean that the means of using it has become outmoded.
 cw is skills are highly prized and that mode is used by long distance
dx'rs and is a high quality mode of communication.  I would venture to say
that 90% of the people who want to do away with cw are too lazy to put
forth the effort to acquire the skill to use it.  I don't have an extra
class yet but I am going to get it before another "dumbing down to
equiptment operator" from the FCC is put into effect.  It is not
unreasonable to expect cw skills from an operator,  this is "HAM RADIO' for
crying out loud, put forth some effort and be proud of your skills.

Larry K0AEY