[AMPS] ARRL and QST (and CW Relevance)

Shawn Tayler Shawn Tayler" <stayler@powernet.net
Thu, 28 Jan 1999 06:48:22 -0800 (PDT)

On Thu, 28 Jan 1999 09:07:20 -0600, T A RUSSELL wrote:

>On the technical side,  CW  is capable of producing the
>highest Signal to Noise ratio because it has the narrowest
>Bandwidth of all modulation systems.  That alone keeps it
>"relevant" as a viable means of communication under
>adverse conditions.

And I'd like to add one extra point to this aspect of the discussion.  CW also does not require the presence of any
extra equipment beyond the rcvr and the operator and a speaker.  How many of us can copy packet (or any other
digital mode) without a TNC?

CW is an excellent weak signal mode, that will get through when nothing else will.  On EME its the only mode that
works consistantly.  My interest in EME has forced me to improve my CW skills.  it wasn't easy but I wouldn't have
missed it for anything.

73

de Shawn
 N7LQ (formerly WB7TDI)