[AMPS] Need Amplifier Manuals

Jon Ogden jono@enteract.com
Thu, 28 Jan 99 14:50:01 -0600

This is the info I have been looking for.  Fortunately, my 50 W FM mobile
only outputs about 30 W due to the long power cord I have on it! :-)  I
was wondering if I could run the amp with the full 50 Watts.  But I
won't.  Normal use will be to help me get reliably to my local DX
cluster.  It's about 15 miles from me and I live in a valley.  I would
have frequent disconnects at just 30 watts.  I'll also use it for SSB
with my 2m all mode during band openings.

Thanks, Merit.

73,

Jon
KE9NA

>>> I am especially curious as to what the maximum input power would be
>for each of these.  For example, on the B3016, would it handle 50 W in?
>How much over 30 will it handle?
>

>The finals in the B3016 are together rated at the 30W drive.  It has been
>my experience that you can probably drive it 20% higher and still be OK.
>However, you must keep in mind that reliability is reduced, since
>stress on the part includes the effects of VSWR, temperature, collector
>current, as well as drive level.
>
>It would be better to reset the maximum output of the radio to 30 Watts
>or so if you want to insure trouble free long term operation.
>Regards,  Merit  W6NQ

Jon Ogden

jono@enteract.com
www.qsl.net/ke9na