[AMPS] grid termination value and triple bypass.

Skip S Isaham nospam4me@juno.com
Sat, 30 Jan 1999 13:28:27 EST

Thank you for all the replies to my question about the grid term resistor
selection.

Although I haven't had time to go back to Rich's site yet, I'd like to
ask the 2nd half of the question.
With modern exciters higher output (in excess of 150-200 watts) levels,
would it be considered a luxury to have the excess "design room input
power" when choosing a value. There was a mention of heat from the
resistor as one consideration. One single HF 4cx250 grid driven tetrode
amplifier I have here does the 1:9 ratio toroid into a higher value
resistor, is completely stable and works well.

With my TS-940's larger output, I'm trying to choose the optimum value
for 4CX1000 design (or similar). Would this exciter allow me convenience
in selection of the termination resistance.

Also, would someone detail the term "triple bypass" the cold side of a
resistor. Three separate types of capacitors, three different capacitors
or three capacitors- same value in parallel?

thanks
skipp
nospam4me@juno.com

[snip]
>Is there a guideline for the selection of a grid termination resistor,
>or is it done by method ?

Hi Skipp,    I guess the best answer is that it is done for
convenience... considering the available drive power from the exciter,
the required RF grid voltage to drive the PA tube and how much power you
wish to
dissipate in the termination resistor.

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]