[AMPS] ARRL and QST (and CW Relevance)

km1h@juno.com km1h@juno.com
Sat, 30 Jan 1999 19:45:29 -0500

On Sat, 30 Jan 1999 08:29:29 -0600 Andy Wallace <andywallace@home.com>
writes:

>Bill-
>
>It is refreshing to see a voice of sanity here instead of the same
>old
>platitudes. What happened to ham radio being on the cutting edge of
>technology? Many of us seem in love with 100 year old
>technology--which is ok
>for them but is not likely to attract many new hams from the ranks of
>computer literate young people who are not lazy but by and large see
>hams and
>their clinging to morse code as crushingly boring.

Good probably in the long term if you factor out corporate greed and
assume ( as in fight for) legislative spectrum protection.  At the
present rate of technology HF spectrum will be of little use to
commercial interests anyway not too far down the road.

>Andy  K5VM

Equally boring ( as in time wasted while I nap) are some new, wet ink,
engineers that cant even figure simple Ohms law problems without a
calculator.
I work with one real "piece of work" that I finally did the calcs, made
the changes, got the plots and THEN asked him for the values. A few of
the Sr Engineers are starting to catch on to my "in flight" methods.

73  Carl  KM1H

>Bill Turner, W7TI wrote:
>
>> Yes, it CAN work magic.  It's done with signal averaging.  The DSP
>> will record a short piece of signal, say a few hundred
>milliseconds,
>> and analyze it looking for a pattern buried in the noise.  The
>pattern
>> of course, is the tone from the signal you're trying to receive.
>In
>> effect it "subtracts" the totally random stuff from the non-random
>> stuff and what's left is the signal.  If you ever get a chance,
>watch
>> a modern digital storage oscilloscope in action.  Put in a sine
>wave
>> which is totally buried in noise.  In the "normal" mode, nothing is
>> visible to the eye except what appears to be white noise.  Turn on
>the
>> "averaging" mode and like magic, the noise fades away and the sine
>> wave appears.  The first time you see this happen it will give you
>> goose bumps.  At least it did me.
>>
>> This same technology can be applied to radio.  NASA has used it for
>> years to dig spacecraft signals out of the noise.  It works; now we
>> need it applied to amateur radio.  It's coming.
>>
>> 73, Bill W7TI
>>
>> --
>> FAQ on WWW:               http://www.contesting.com/ampfaq.html
>> Submissions:              amps@contesting.com
>> Administrative requests:  amps-REQUEST@contesting.com
>> Problems:                 owner-amps@contesting.com
>> Search:                   http://www.contesting.com/km9p/search.htm
>

>--

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]