[AMPS] HV Switching Supply

km1h@juno.com km1h@juno.com
Sat, 30 Jan 1999 21:04:47 -0500

Hi all,

I've been working on the specs of a switcher supply that hopefully will
become a QEX article and a kit. Based upon many inputs this is where I'm
at so far:

Input:  90-260VAC @ 47-440Hz
Output: 2000, 2250, 2500VDC at up to 1A PEP.  User selectable xfmr taps.
About 5% worse case regulation, open loop.
Xfmr: Planar construction

Output: 300-400VDC  adjustable @ 50ma, .25% regulation
Output: -25 to -150VDC @ 50ma adjustable. .25% regulation
Xfmr: conventional pot core

RFI: On board Input and Output filtering.

Projected weight: About 10 lbs without filtering. Similar designs have
reached up to 58W per cubic inch and down to 10W with inefficient
designs.

As mentioned earlier the first iteration will be aimed at the various
4CX250 thru 400  series tetrodes where IMD performance and light weight
VHF-UHF portability is required.

There is plenty of latitude in the design so feel free to offer
suggestions. Xfmr taps are cheap and the parts count does not change at
the 2500V max level.

A second iteration will cover the 2500-3000-3500V  area and be for the
8877 class of amp with possibly a 2200V tap for a pair of 3CX 800's and
the screen/bias part optional for tetrode users.

My mentor in this project is a ham with 40 years in the PS business and
enough patents to fill a room. At this time he does not want to "go
public" .

Comments and suggestions PLEASE !

73  Carl  KM1H

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]