[AMPS] Re: PS diode equalizing

Roy Koeppe royanjoy@ncn.net
Mon, 5 Jul 1999 11:05:42 -0500

Concerning...

"I use resistors across the diodes, with no capacitors. With 1kV diodes,
use two 500volt resistors in series, although that's probably 'belt and
braces'. If I was using capacitors, they'd be .01 microfarad 1kV working
micas or plastic film, not disc ceramic, because of temp co and
tolerance.
I've never had hash caused by the diodes switching abruptly, either.
With
1N5400 series, they're relatively slow, so I wouldn't expect it."

FYI, the ARRL Handbook warns never to use SILVER micas for HV DC
service, as the silver tends migrate causing possible cap deterioration.

73,    Roy   K6XK        Iowa