[AMPS]RJ-iA relay contact-life on CW?

Paul Christensen paulc@mediaone.net
Mon, 5 Jul 1999 18:36:45 -0400

> As my Henry has both reed relays and vacuum,
> presume I could set it up as I had with the 87A,
> and use full QSK key from a link between the Omni
> TX en and TX out sockets.  A diode in series with
> this jumper running over to the 87A relay input
> worked just fine.  Of course,  the 87A is diode
> keyed.

Regarding amp interfacing with the Ten-Tec Omni Six (Plus):

Unless the amp has internal protection against hot-switching, I strongly
recommend:

1) Bypassing the Omni's internal amp relay, using the preceding driver
transistor as an open collector to the rear panel RCA amp-line jack.

2) Rather than sample at the TX EN/TX OUT point, sample the "T" voltage on
the Omni's Control Board.  Yes, this is an invasive modification whereas the
"Y" adapter/steering diode method at the TX EN/TX OUT point is not, the end
result is well worth the effort.  The "T" voltage is generated by a complex
circuit on an alternate circuit board that takes into consideration the
integrated ramping of the keyed waveform.

With many amps, sampling at the preceding TX EN/TX OUT point will cause hot
switching.  Of course, you can always keep the Omni's internal relay, set
it's duration from the menu and live with the noise of a telegraph sounder.

Although I personally favor a good, fast vacuum relay, operating an Omni Six
with this mod into an Alpha 87A is entirely noise free and an absolute joy
to operate.

-Paul, W9AC