[AMPS] Bias for SB-220

Tom Rauch W8JI@contesting.com
Sat, 5 Jun 1999 11:58:39 -0400

Hi Peter,

Please excuse my attempt at clearing this up.

Rich's off-the-cuff condemnations and your response to them might
confuse others into thinking ALL automatic bias systems are
flawed.

It is absolutely true you do NOT want to switch from out-of-cutoff
into linear bias, or have a bias switching scheme that can not
follow the envelope and that does not switch at very low power (in
the milliwatt range).

But that acknowledgment should not be allowed to stand without
clarification. It might confuse people into wrongly thinking RF bias
switching isn't cheap and easy to implement, and that the
additional distortion is immeasurable when the circuit design is
correct.

There is absolutely no reason for bias to "follow the keying line"
unless the person doing the bias switching design is incapable of
understanding the necessary cures for envelope switching. Proper
RF switching is simple, since rise time is slow in the envelope
(because of filter or transmitter bandwidth) compared to the
potential response of a switching circuit.