[AMPS] slam tally

David J. Windisch dwindk3bhj@fuse.net
Tue, 8 Jun 1999 15:28:02 -0400

To:  All concerned

Who are the eight-hundred-pound gorillas in this slam-dunk contest?   Who
are the lurkers?

I see kernels of truth coming out of the exchanges, eg, about subtle
differences between ceramic and glass tubes.   If you haven't built some
amplifiers yourself, you probably won't discern the luster from the bluster.
Some of the participants do not suffer fools gladly, and exposures of said
fools have been occasionally-amusing and always useful, parts of the luster.

Building stuff of any kind is a *laboratory* experience -- from idea to
fruition.   If you've ever worked in a laboratory, you can probably
appreciate the first five letters, as opposed to the last seven.

So hold all that
you-guys-make-nice-to-each-other-because-the-world-is-watching-or-for-whatev
er-reason stuff.   If you don't have the discernment to read the big boys,
then stay home on the porch.   At least some of the rest of us find even the
scabrous exchanges to be illuminating, and the last thing we want is the
thought-gestapo limiting our free access to the flow of ideas.

The stakes are higher than in the days when 4-400A's were cheap and
plentiful.  I'm happy to have some ideas to use in my new pushpull
swinging-link  NOS VT127A amplifier, hi.   Those bottles are difficult to
come by.   Anybody have a complete set of KW plug-in coils to sell?

Curious 73,

Dave, K3BHJ.