[AMPS] parasites prove it?

Rich Measures measures@vc.net
Sun, 20 Jun 1999 10:44:48 -0700

>>To: igor rosky <irosky@yahoo.com>
>>From: Edward Pagaduan <ezed@mail.aloha.net>
>>Subject: Re: [AMPS] parasites prove it?
>>
>>At 08:21 PM 6/10/99 -0700, you wrote:
>>>
>>>I have followed this debate with great interests, almost to a point of
>>>confusion. I must admit i use the nichrome suppresors in a 8171.
>>>
>>>My only point on this is, why does not the two parties get together,
>>>someone can volunteer a TL922 or Ameritron, Tom could fix that, and try
>>>and induce the amps to oscilate or generate parasites, using an agreed
>>>method. Then try and fix the problem using Rich's techniques. This is
>>>the only way this debate will be settled. They could do that at Visalia
>>>or Dayton or somewhere else, how about the ARRL lab, it belongs to the
>>>members.

€  When it looked like the parasite controversy was smouldering, I wrote
a letter to *QST* Editor Mark Wilson recommending that the ARRL Lab.
measure the characteristics of copper-wire suppressors vs.
resistance-wire suppressors, and publish the measurements in *QST* to
settle the controversy.   Mark did not respond.    .  Not until Wes,
N7WS, made such measurements did the amateur community find out what was
what.  Thus,  test equipment in ARRL Lab. gets paid for by radio amateurs
for the benefit of amateur radio, however, the equipment is used, or not
used, to benefit *QST* advertisers.

>>>I am a believer since i have had results, and the many large megawatt
>>>now quite Russian SW broadcasters used similar techniques to quite down
>>>these big tubes. There is a Russian paper on this subject which is
>>>somewhere i am chasing it down, the designer is a ham and is still
>>>living.

€  Interesting proposal, Igor.
.  RE:  "Rich's Techniques":  Mr. F. E. Handy wrote about the technique
in the 1926 and 1927 Handbooks.  Mr. G. W. Fyler wrote about in 1935 in
the Proceedings of the Institute of Radio Engineers journal.  I did not
write about it until 1988.
 .  One problem with conducting such a test is that parasites do not
always cooperate.   However, with a sample/hold spectrum-analyzer, it
would be possible to show that the amplitude of damped-wave VHF ringing
in the anode-circuit of a HF amplifier is reduced by decreasing VHF-Q.
.  Another problem was described thusly:
-  "I know that most men, including those who are at ease with problems
of the greatest complexity, can seldom accept even the simplest and most
obvious truth if it be such as would oblige them to admit the falsity of
conclusions which they had delighted in explaining to colleagues, which
they had proudly taught to others, and which they had woven, thread by
thread, into the fabric of their lives."  ­  Count Leo Tolstoy

Rich...