[AMPS] Solid-state relay question

Vic Rosenthal rakefet@rakefet.com
Sun, 20 Jun 1999 11:04:51 -0700

Dennis A. Homerick wrote:

> Solid state relays have leakage current.  Therefore disconnect from power source
> before inserting hands.  Good advice also with conventional relay.  Almost lost my
> life across a 3 phase 480vac solid state switch.

The design has a 25-amp 250v DPST toggle switch as a safety switch first.  Then
the relay will be controlled by a couple of smaller toggle switches, interlock,
etc. in series.  My practice is always to remove the plug when I'm working
inside an amp anyway.  I've heard lots of stories of conventional relays failing
to open due to welded contacts, etc.  There's also going to be a shorting stick
hanging inside the rack and a hook for it on the HV filter cap.

73,
Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA