[AMPS] Peak reading: P-3000 & Bird 43's

Jim Reid jreid@aloha.net
Wed, 23 Jun 1999 15:19:09 -1000

Hi all,

> The real problem with the peak reading meter is that most
>of them don't. If it cost less then 300 bux, it doesn't read
>peak no matter what the ads say.
>
> For instance, the MFJ, the Vectronics, and the Paslstar,
>all use a series resistor and a small shunt cap for their
>so-called peak detector.

So,  where  does the RF Applications Inc.,  P-3000
fit into this discussion?  Have just had mine upgraded
at the factory to V2.0 firmware.  Unit uses 1N5711
diode detectors.  Before V2.0,  manual accuracy
was said to be +/- 10%,  plus, minus the analog to
digital converter resolution.  Not sure what the
accuracy is supposed to be now,  but some
implications that it might approach +/-5% similar
to the Bird 43, not sure.  Problem I have with the
Bird is the amazingly slow response time,  tough
to tune up to max with such sluggish response;
and the peak mod to the Bird does not seem to
be any faster in responding -- I mean it seems to
take seconds for the meter needle to reach max.
One Bird 43 in use here is s/n 15794,  wonder when
it was built? My newest 43 is s/n 277093--huge
delta  between the two,  hi!

So use the bargraph on the P-3000 (which is ~0.1
second response) to tune/load adjustments.  Also tune
up with about 60 wpm dits from the CW keyer,  per
idea by Rich;  bargraph peak power indicator works
great this way.  Guess the little 0.0047uf capacitor
following the 1N5711 in  the P-3000 directional coupler
unit can reach peak "power",  and hold,  or at least store
up to be sampled;  seems to "work" ok,  hi.

73,  Jim,  KH7M