[AMPS] YC156 whats the point

Richard W. Ehrhorn w4eto@rmii.com
Tue, 2 Mar 1999 09:47:33 -0700

Hi Andy...

TheYC-156 (as I think has been mentioned numerous times in the past here)
is actually a 3CX15000B7 outfitted with a 5kW cooler specifically for
highly linear MRI rf pulse use. (High field MRI typically may use up to
25kW peak rf pulse, but only a few hundred watts average, output - hence
does not need a huge cooler. The 3CX15,000B7 data is 100% applicable to the
3CPX5000A7/ YC-156, within its dissipation rating of course.

MRI guys typically specify linearity as a transfer function (+/- dB
variation in Po/Pi) rather than in terms of IM. If I remember the spec
correctly, our 25 kW amps had to test out better than +/- 0.5 dB linearity
from 25 kW down to 2.5 W output (40 dB). IM numbers would depend somewhat
on actual shape of that small nonlinearity, but I'd bet it's better than
-40 dB ref peak output.

73,     Dick    W0ID    ex-W4ETO