[AMPS] Nichicon Caps

km1h@juno.com km1h@juno.com
Wed, 3 Mar 1999 11:36:43 -0500

On Wed, 03 Mar 1999 07:17:21 -0500 "Warren J. Walsh" <warrenw@pentek.com>
writes:

>At 09:15 PM 3/2/99 -0800, W6NQ wrote:
>>
>>In answer to question as to capacitors used in PS by Commander,
>>they use the LLK2W271MHSB, a 270 uf, 450V, 105 degC snap in.
>>If Alltronics has the LLK2W471MHSB, then it is a real good buy.
>>(Factory price in 1000 pc lot is about $3.50.)
>>However, if it is the 85 deg C version, I wouldn't use them.
>>73,   Merit  W6NQ           http://www.rfparts.com
>>

>The caps they are selling are: Nichicon LGQ2W471MHSC.  According to
>the
>Nichicon web site these are their High Reliability Type caps.

According to my cross reference they are similar to the Panasonic TSHA
which is one grade below their best rated TSHB series.

 I have
>a PDF
>format data sheet for these parts. As for the question of will they
>work in
>a HV supply string. I recently lost several caps in my SB-220 (27 yrs
>old)
>and did not have an extra $115.00 available to purchase the drop in
>replacement part that Harbach sells, so I bought 10 for $22.50.  I
>had
>already done the AG6K mods to the amp, so I just replaced the cap bank
>with
>8 of these caps.  They are about half the length of the old caps, but
>the
>same diameter, data shows them at 1.375"D x 2.00"L.  Last night I
>finished
>the installation, and fired up the amp, NO SMOKE.

I would not expect immediate smoke. The proof is in long term
reliability. Just for G & G why not breadboard the bank and monitor for
temperature build-up. A good cap will barely get warm, even after several
hours of use.
If they pass that test they are a great buy.

73  Carl  KM1H

 Quick testing
>showed 1
>KW out on 40M and 1 KW out on 10M, now it's on to removing the input
>circuits and converting it to 6M.
>
>Anyone needing more info, please just ask.
>
>73
>Warren - K2BM
>Warren J. Walsh (warrenw@pentek.com) Pentek, Inc.
>Design Engineer                      One Park Way
>Phone: (201) 818-5900 x 251          Upper Saddle River, N.J.
>Fax:   (201) 818-5941                http://www.pentek.com/
>
>--

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]