[AMPS] CW amplifier progress (well, daydream progress) -- long

Vic Rosenthal rakefet@rakefet.com
Mon, 15 Mar 1999 20:18:26 -0800

km1h@juno.com wrote:

> $190 for a guaranteed full output pull is expensive ?? If you really
> intend to run at low voltage and 1200-1500W the tube may outlive you.

I haven't been able to find these $190 guaranteed pulls!  I sent an email to
Radio Recyclers, and checked out some other leads.  If you can tell me who is
selling these I will look into it.

> >The 3CX800A7 and 3CX1200A7 are expensive and not instant-on.
>
> OH !  You're only 50% correct.

OK, I see the 1200A7 is a filament-type.  But it IS expensive.

>  Also
> >they have
> >somewhat low grid dissipation ratings and I'm afraid of damaging
> >them.
>
> OH, again.

OK again, I was looking at the 800 data sheet, I see the 1200A7 has a 50 watt
grid dissipation.  But it IS expensive.

> Yeah, real marginal, you should only expect about 1800W with a 3400V
> supply. The 8877 will do it at 2300V. Do the math on the PS and RF
> components at both voltages.

I meant the drive was marginal (100 watts) for the pair of 3-500z's.  But I
agree already, the 8877 is a better tube, which is why new ones go for $650+.

I like the idea of an inexpensive PS.  I want to know where to get a guaranteed
8877 for $190.

> BTW, that DTR-2000L is now running 4KV on 6M and really does some serious
> RF !
> Still no need for a parasitic suppressor.

You'll notice that I didn't mention parasitic suppressors in my original post.

Thanks for the comments.

73,
Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA