[AMPS] Re:HV on tube w/o filament voltage

km1h@juno.com km1h@juno.com
Tue, 30 Mar 1999 09:34:32 -0500

On Mon, 29 Mar 1999 09:44:59 +0008 "George T. Daughters"
<gdaught6@leland.Stanford.EDU> writes:

>Mike wrote...
>
>> But you have raised an interesting question. I would like to add
>another
>> one: Is it allowed to apply HV along with filament voltage at
>start-up,
>> provided that G1 is biased at cutoff and G2 voltage is zero? The
>tube in
>> question is a 4CX800A. Svetlana says no way.
>
>They may have misunderstood your question, or they are just "covering
>
>their posteriors."  (Their spec sheet says no operating potentials
>until the warm up time is complete)
>
>I do exactly this all the time with my 4CX800A: my G1 bias and HV
>are applied immediately, but my circuit WILL NOT apply G2 voltage
>until the warmup is complete.  What does Alpha Power do in the
>91-beta?

The old NCL-2000 tetrode amp turned on the filaments and bias first.
After the 90 second delay only then could you apply HV and screen.
Is this procedure myth and seemingly applied only to tetrodes?
I do not know of any ham type triode amps that sequence that way, altho a
few apply half HV at turn-on.

73  Carl  KM1H
or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]