[AMPS] Amp opinion/infomation requested ASAP!!

km1h@juno.com km1h@juno.com
Tue, 30 Mar 1999 10:01:12 -0500

On Mon, 29 Mar 99 16:40:20 -0600 Jon Ogden <jono@enteract.com> writes:

>>I do not own an antenna tuner and have no need for another device of
>>questionable efficiency.
>
>I understand why folks do this, especially after having some arcing
>problems in my tuner on 80m during the WPX contest (had to do an
>emergency cap repair on my output cap in the tuner - a plate had some
>
>serious meltdown!).  However, there are a couple of reasons why I like
>
>the concept of a tuner.  For one, it gives an additional layer of
>harmonic filtering.

Questionable.

 Second, low pass filters are designed to have
>their
>lowpass response based on a 50 Ohm input and output and third, power
>meters are pretty much designed the same way.

And so are antenna tuners. All bets are off otherwise.

>So how do you get around this?  Having a power meter on a non-50 Ohm
>system probably isn't a big deal.  But I think it could be a big deal
>
>with the lowpass filter.  Or do you not run a lowpass filter and count
>on
>the harmonic suppression in the tank circuit to be good enough?

I run a 3KW ICE LP filter on the output and a relay switched set of
bandpass filters on the input and it works just fine. Since I was
referring to 80 and 160M with respect to the high VSWR the additional
loss thru the filter is minimal.

For QRO, the 6KW ICE is an option.

73  Carl  KM1H

>73,
>
>Jon
>KE9NA

>Jon Ogden
>
>jono@enteract.com
>www.qsl.net/ke9na

>--

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]