[AMPS] Re:HV on tube w/o filament voltage

Rich Measures measures@vc.net
Wed, 31 Mar 1999 02:26:04 -0800

>Dick says:
>
>>Don't you  think the HV filter will generally discharge much faster than
>>the cathode will  cool down & lose emissivity, Peter...?
>
>It's all going to depend, isn't it? The relative time constants of screen
>and bias supplies, the time constant of the HV supply..........you could get
>the case where the tube is cut off and cooling  and then the bias supply
>falls before the HV has. It's a bit academic, though - the probability of it
>giving a problem is pretty remote. If you're running multiple amps and
>switching the heaters as you change band, leaving the other voltages on,
>it's possible. X ray tubes have back bombardment which heats the cathode, I
>believe, but I don't think anyone on this reflector is running B+ voltages
>up in 100kV region - not in amateur service, anyhow.

€  I have heard about amateurs in Italy and Japan that have
8349/4CX35000C amplifiers.  The rated anode potential is 20kV, which is
close to the limit for thoriated tungsten cathodes.  .  X-ray shielding
is definitely not optional.

-  later, Peter

Rich...