[AMPS] Henry 2K Question

Radiodan W7RF RFpower@radiodan.com
Fri, 21 May 1999 23:33:12 -0700

Hi Marty,

Your classic Henry uses a 12 VDC relay and it probably takes about 200 MA of
current to activate it.
It just requires a closure to ground on the center pin of the RCA jack on
the back marked "Relay" or "RLY". Do NOT apply any voltage on this pin.

To check the current needed for the relay, put a milliameter in series with
the center to ground on the relay jack and read it. Make sure you set your
meter to a high enough scale.

The 2K-2 uses solid state rectifiers and 3-400Z tubes and the relays are NOT
fast enough for QSK. A reliable way to do this is with our modern short
throw relay for the input and a vacuum relay for the output. Some guys use
two vacuum relays (or three for biased amps). Careful scrounging can get you
these HC-1 or RJ-1 vacuum relays for $25-40 each.

With only 100 (or so) watts of drive there is no need to hook up the ALC,
just leave that open.
I would expect you would get about 1200 watts output without pushing it,
maybe 1000 on 10M, depending on your tubes. Plate current would be about 800
MA.
Remember, if you need to replace the tubes, modern 3-400Z and all 3-500
tubes are too tall for this amplifier unless you drop the sockets. Also, if
you go to 3-500 tubes a simple diode bias arrangement might be nice to keep
from running too much idle current.

Join the HENRY reflector!
See http://radiodan.com/Henry/misc/henry_reflector_faq.htm

Enjoy!

73, Dan Magro W7RF, (President WARC 1999, member SCDXC, SCCC)
Manufacturers Rep & Distributor for HENRY RF Power Amplifiers.
www.radiodan.com <http://www.radiodan.com>     RFpower@radiodan.com
<mailto:RFpower@radiodan.com> A trip to our web site is worth the click!