[AMPS] Re: swr

Jon Ogden jono@enteract.com
Sun, 3 Oct 1999 21:24:36 -0500

Larry Molitor wrote:

>>€  To find out if this is really true, why not try it?  All that's needed
>>is a 50 +/- j0 ohm termination and a halfwave of 75 ohm coax (c.10.5 '
>>for 10m).  Measure the SWR at the half-wave and the quarter-wave points.
>
>Rich, glad you said it so I didn't have to.

This is correct.  Once you change the characteristic impedance of the
transmission line, you are no longer operating in a 50 Ohm system.

See the problem here is that you have this set up:

A 50 Ohm load, a 75 Ohm transmission line of a half wavelength, and an
SWR meter based on a 50 Ohm system.

The 75 Ohm line now acts as an impedance transformer.

The cases I SPECIFICALLY was talking about was one where the LINE
IMPEDANCE IS 50 OHMS!  I HAVE ALWAYS STATED THAT VERY SPECIFICALLY!

Yes, the Smitch Chart is NORMALIZED to whatever impedance you so choose.
If you choose 50 Ohms as your normalized impedance, then what I have said
is correct.

I wish Mr. Measures would stop thinking he is smarter than all of
academia.

73,

Jon
KE9NA