[AMPS] Re: swr

Jon Ogden jono@enteract.com
Sun, 3 Oct 1999 21:26:59 -0500

Larry Molitor wrote:

>>The
>>50+j0 point on a Smith Chart is the very center of the chart.  A VSWR has
>>the 50 Ohm point as its center.
>
>Nope. The center on a standard Smith Chart is 1.0 ohms. You are either outa
>school too long or never knew it to begin with. Remember the little part
>about normalization? 50 ohms is neither sacred nor universal.

PICKY, PICKY, PICKY!

Mea culpa.  I was wrong O, GREAT MASTER and therefore all I said was
incorrect.

Sheesh!  Gotta pick at something, huh.

Of course, the Smitch Chart needs to be normalized to whatever impedance
system you are working in be it 1 Ohm, 50 Ohms, 75 Ohm, or 10 MegOhms.

But generally when an RF engineer talks about the 50 Ohm point on the
Smitch Chart, he means the center since 50 Ohms is the standard for most
RF communications (Television is an exception).

73,

Jon
KE9NA

Jon Ogden