[AMPS] The Best Value or Best AMP!

Phil Clements philk5pc@tyler.net
Thu, 7 Oct 1999 15:18:14 -0500

>After looking at the tank coils and bandswitch on my AL-1200,
>I would like to see your amp if you consider them to be "tuned
>input" size/quality !!
>Also, the 3CX1200 is quite enough tube for the "Legal Limit"
>amplifier "most" folks need.

?  Some users have reported tank melting on RTTY.  Adding a fan to cool
the smallish tank might be a good idea.

The tank coils and band switch make dandy tuned input components;
used with the appropriate doorknob caps , on the 3CX3000A7 amps
that I convert. I buy them from Ameritron parts for this purpose. The
price is reasonable, and at 450 watts, they run fairly cool.

Compare the size of these components with the old B&W 850
series coils, which were rated at 1 kw AM input! The new generation
of hams that have been brain washed at Hamfeat booths have never
seen what a commercial grade 1500 watt amp should look like.
I'll give you a hint; it would have only one tube with a minimum 1500
watt plate dissipation, and would require two folks to pick it up!

(((73)))
Phil, K5PC